Summary of Qualifications
- Multi-cloud architecture with AWS (ECS/EC2, Lambda, S3, SQS, SNS, API Gateway) and GCP (GKE, GCS, Cloud SQL)
- SQL (MySQL, PostgreSQL) and NoSQL (MongoDB, DynamoDB, RethinkDB, ScyllaDB) database administration
- Data monitoring, analytics and metrics via Elasticsearch (ELK)
- Performance benchmarks and tuning: browsers and Node.js
- User-centered UI/UX research, design, and development
- Leadership experience with Agile and Scrum teams
- Teaching experience in technical and non-technical fields
- Mandarin Chinese (Fluent)
Tech Consultant at AWS Professional Services
11/2021 – Present
- Review and collaborate on the technical design of a next-gen, federated GraphQL platform to replace aging architecture of a well-known retail platform’s back-end services with a modern, consolidated tech stack.
- Design and implement an authentication and authorization mechanism within the platform for service teams to secure and restrict access to their subgraphs, using GraphQL directives.
Lead Software Engineer at Lowe’s Innovation Labs
5/2020 – 11/2021
- Leading a team of five (5) developers develop a 3D asset scanning pipeline management tool to support a key Lowe’s initiative to produce high-resolution 3D models to modernize the catalog on Lowes.com, the Lowe’s app, and other sites.
- Design and implement prototypes for a connected-home data platform for integration with third-party providers and broad consumption by a diverse group of stakeholders, including homeowners, Lowe’s Pros, big brands, and market analysts.
- Designing, developing, and deploying a single backend platform in Node.js, to seamlessly integrate a suite of 3D design applications to share and enable progressive enhancement of models and scenes as they progress through the workflow.
- Driving the system design and system architecture of the 3D asset management tool, creating documents and diagrams to serialize the approach, lock in the focus, and inform the implementation.
- Introducing Lowe’s enterprise Forgerock authentication strategy into the Lab’s ecosystem, to support in-store authentication by store associates for the Lab’s apps, where applicable.
Lead Software Developer (Contract) at Wellsaid Labs
7/2019 – 10/2019
- Redesigned the onboarding flow to integrate Auth0 user signup with Stripe subscription payments, enabling full self-service conversion of customers from trial to paid, including handling the full customer journey (signup, cancellation, resubscription).
- Established a new logging pattern to include a greater level of detail and consistency throughout the application and created metrics dashboard using the new data, which combined to provide greater insight and an improved debugging experience.
Software Development Engineer III at LivePerson
8/2018 – 5/2020
- Drove the implementation of the CEO’s self-service vision for the platform by leading the efforts for an API Standardization program and by delivering the company’s first zero-touch, trial-to-paid upgrade and onboarding experience for new accounts.
- Architected, built and shipped Maven – an AI and automation-first platform – with a six-person team, driving big wins for brands in the LivePerson ecosystem, including a multi-service implementation of AI Assist, an AI recommendation system for brands, and a tool to identify and execute the “next best action” for any customer inquiry.
- Worked independently to build a high-impact, customer-facing proof of concept implementation of the AI Assist platform, using Node.js and React, providing the foundation and first product for the new Core AI team in the fledgling Seattle office.
- Introduced the Data Science team to the ELK stack, establishing the design of a key feature which quickly became its own product, called Zeitgeist, giving brands deep and far-reaching insight into the behavior and needs of their customers.
- Built and shipped a “Context Service” at a record pace, with React, Node.js, Couchbase, and Kubernetes, to help fuel the AI engine behind Maven, and to be used by other teams throughout the company to enhance their products and services.
- Traveled to the Israel offices to learn about the existing products and platforms from the teams that designed and built them, documented and shared the designs, implementations, and limitations; developed a transition plan for the core messaging platform, and drove the technical planning sessions for the modernization efforts for a critical legacy service.
- Drove improvements to the platform and to developer experience throughout the organization by spearheading developer advocacy through working sessions, standards, and documentation.
- Planned and coordinated an internal Hackathon for the engineering teams in the Seattle office, which produced multiple viable projects with go-to-market plans, that the business continues to invest in.
- Won the “most developer-centric” category in an internal, global hackathon for the Unified Conversational Context, a data platform and UX paradigm shift that aims to transform how consumers engage with brands through messaging.
- Recruited, interviewed, and hired the first round of new developers for most of the new teams in the Seattle office.
Senior Software Developer (Contract) at Coinstar
6/2018 – 8/2018
- Worked independently to turn transaction and other hardware event data into (1) automated alerts, (2) actionable insights, and (3) an ongoing source for powerful reports to be used by personnel across the business – from field engineers to BI analysts.
- Set up and configured the ELK stack (Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana) and the X-Pack extension suite to ingest and process millions of transaction and hardware events per month.
- Built an ETL in Node.js to efficiently load heavily normalized, and partially XML-based, data from Microsoft SQL Server, de-normalize and transform it into newline-delimited JSON, and output it for consumption by Logstash.
- Built a suite of visualizations, dashboards, machine learning jobs, and other data-driven assets for the organization.
Lead Mobile Developer (Contract) at NexTravel
3/2018 – 4/2018
- Worked independently to build and deliver a mobile application that wraps the existing NexTravel web experience and provides additional functionality to leverage the unique features of the mobile platform.
- Integrated push notifications into the app via OneSignal and assisted the backend team in getting the server-side components implemented, offering users of the platform a much more streamlined experience for their core travel approval workflow.
- Built and published versions of the app on both the Android Play Store and the Apple App Store.
- Included additional mobile-oriented features to improve the user experience, such as a connectivity monitor, a back button, and splash screen and unique icons well-suited for each platform.
Senior Software Developer at Elevāt
11/2017 – 4/2018
- Worked with a small team of four other developers to scale an add critical features to a real-time IoT data collection and analysis platform built on AWS, with Node.js and AngularJS.
- Built a drop-in replacement for the AWS IoT Device Shadow service to dramatically improve performance and load time using a Redis cluster, offering granular control over data seeding and caching on the signal, device, and organization levels.
- Evaluated and improved the performance of the Redis-based solution with timing benchmarks for the endpoints and methods.
- Built a rules engine and corresponding UI to enable the company to close a growing segment of prospective customers who need to monitor and react to device measurements in near real-time, thereby improving their visibility and insight into what’s happening in the field, and facilitating preventative maintenance and iterative efficiency tuning.
- Streamlined the development and deployment cycle with Terraform, CI/CD integrations between GitHub and Shippable, and advocating for and instructing on best practices in Git and Gitflow.
- Migrated unit tests to use Jest, improving speed and reliability, and making writing and maintenance easier for the developers.
Senior Software Developer (Contract) at Uber
8/2017 – 1/2018
- Confidential. Worked with Node, React, and React Native.
Senior Software Developer at Stackline
8/2017 – 9/2017
- Worked independently alongside a three-person team of backend developers to build a Vendor Data Collection service for retailer websites, to position Stackline as the single-source of truth for all customer sales data. The Node.js service logs in to vendor websites and (1) runs, (2) pulls, (3) transforms, and (4) loads sales and inventory reports. It was built on AWS ECS/EC2, Lambda, S3, SQS, and SNS, to provide a scalable and fault-tolerant solution with real-time status reporting in Slack.
- Built a Desktop Data Collector for running the vendor data collection process from the customer's own hardware, eliminating the need for sharing login credentials with clients, removing a significant hurdle for some prominent customers. Developed with Electron/Node.js, React, and Webpack, it includes a UI for account management and job monitoring, as well as a Headless Chrome API integrated into Electron for orchestrating the report collection process.
Senior Software Developer at Pushpay
2/2017 – 8/2017
- Joined as the first US developer on Pushpay’s mobile content management platform, interfacing with a small team of developers based out of the original New Zealand headquarters to maintain and enhance a powerful mobile app content management and delivery platform, built in Node.js, React, and React Native.
- Integrated needed metrics collection into the platform, using StatsD and Librato, to provide insight into customer and end-user usage patterns and server performance and irregularities, enabling the support team to better assist customers in getting the most out of the platform, and enabling the development team to identify and eliminate performance bottlenecks.
- Automated screenshot collection for apps designed on the platform, to save dozens hours spent by implementation specialists on what was their lengthiest and most repetitive task, sharply reducing the overall time to onboard new customers.
- Developed UI/UX improvements to improve the customer experience throughout the platform and reduce the number of requests received by the support team.
Principal Engineer (Contract) at MaxSam Partners (CashMap)
3/2017 – 6/2017
- Developed a feature-rich, cross-platform mobile application with over 45 detailed screens and multiple dynamic formulae based on optional data entered throughout the app, using ES6, with React Native and Redux.
- Redesigned existing screens and functionality from the original iPad app to suit the phone form factor, introducing new levels of interactivity and instant feedback, including dynamic graphs and sliders, to improve the user experience.
- Integrated in-app purchases (one-time purchases) and in-app subscriptions via the Apple App Store unlocking premium content throughout the app’s various reports.
Lead Mobile Developer (Contract) for Grind Log Pro
11/2016 – 5/2017
- Designed a mobile UI in an extremely short (one-week) timeframe, for the existing Grind Log Pro web app – a fast and flexible tool to help grocery stores maintain compliance with the USDA regulations in a reliable, convenient, and consistent manner.
- Significantly hardened the existing app through upgrades and bug fixes; added defensive error handling, improved app security, integrated real-time, Slack-integrated application logs, and upgraded the login flow for mobile.
- Streamlined the barcode scanning process with the inclusion of a real-time scanning feature to quickly and easily scan grind barcodes and enter the data into the app.
- Handled the publication and update processes on both the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store.
Senior Software Developer (Contract) at MaxSam Partners (ALG)
10/2016 – 12/2016
- Worked on a two-person team to design and develop user-friendly, and reusable front-end components in AEM (Adobe Experience Manager), using Angular 1 and Sightly, for ongoing use by marketing personnel and other non-developers.
- Automated the production of over 200 marketing pages for the rollout of a high-SEO marketing site on the AEM platform, avoiding both costly scope creep and the scrapping of any part of the planned delivery, instead making it possible to build and deliver the full site on time and within budget.
- Produced multiple landing experiences for the project that secured a lucrative advertising deal with American Express.
Workshop Instructor (Contract) at Galvanize
4/2016 – 7/2016
- Emphasized the importance of solving the right problem, design-first approaches, and writing clean code, preparing the students for success in the full six-month course. Many of the students have successfully entered the software industry.
- Coached the students through various homework projects, including a student-driven final project, for which most of the students produced sophisticated and beautifully-designed applications, including a Yelp-integrated coffee shop locator, a tide pool map for kindergarten instruction, and an animated card-matching game.
Senior Front-End Developer (Contract) at Cadence (formerly SeekPanda)
4/2016 – 6/2016
- Worked independently to redesign the user intake form in ReactJS, to vastly improve the form integration with the rest of the application, making it easier and more inviting for new customers to sign up and onboard quickly. Also included helpful widgets and tools to improve the UX, and integrated the form with Cadence’s "smart-match" technology on the backend.
- Dramatically redesigned the landing page to showcase the flexibility and technical sophistication of the platform, updated the site’s color scheme, and improved the look and feel of the all of the site’s pages on mobile.
- Integrated Intercom chat into the ReactJS application and the team’s Slack group, improving the customer experience from the first visit, and enabling the support team to guide new customers through signup and their first engagement.
Senior Development Engineer (Contract) at MaxSam Partners (TrueBlue)
1/2016 – 10/2016
- Worked alongside a mixed team of contractors and FTEs to redesign an integration for a third-party vendor.
- Designed and implemented a scalable, serverless application architecture for replication and transformation of data from a SQL Server instance to DynamoDB, enabling near real-time updates, using AWS Lambda, S3, SNS, SQS, and API Gateway.
- Implemented symmetric at-rest encryption for data in DynamoDB and SQS, using C#, Node.js, and KMS.
- Developed and maintained high-throughput, multi-threaded Windows services with .NET in C# for monitoring SQL Server Service Broker queues and uploading data updates to DynamoDB continuously.
- Delivered training to 25+ mid- and senior-level client personnel on AWS managed services and the solution architecture.
- Drove cross-disciplinary collaboration on a fast-paced, agile Scrum team of developers, testers, and managers.
- Mentored and assisted other developers with code reviews, pair programming, and general development advice.
- Implemented and maintained end-to-end performance monitoring solution with the ELK stack (Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana), to monitor system health and performance with high-level charts and statistics as well and detailed event-level logs.
Software Development Engineer at Gesto Technologies
11/2015 – 2/2016
- Singlehandedly designed and developed an extensible promotions service to serve as the foundation for customer engagement on the platform. The service including a DSL for defining promotions, an efficient algorithm for optimizing the application of available promotions to orders, and an attractive admin interface for managing promotions.
- Worked with a distributed team to triage and resolve bugs, production issues, and support requests, during on-call rotation.
- Designed and developed a menu management tool in Angular, Express, and MongoDB, to improve the user experience of customer menu management, and to preserve the integrity of the menu data during updates.
Support Engineer at Avanade
3/2013 – 11/2015
- Designed and developed UX-driven features for an enterprise .NET MVC application written in C#, including user-requested status monitoring elements, page-level integration of detailed context-sensitive help (CSH), and form tooltips.
- Developed and maintained a UX Design Pattern Library with SharePoint 2010, Bootstrap, jQuery, and Knockout.js to offer internal development teams a central, user-friendly repository for repeatable code and best practices.
- Produced responsive, user-centered HTML5 help and PowerPoint training decks to simplify complex user workflows.
- Worked with a senior Technical Writer to develop a department-wide framework for technical documentation.
- Facilitated software re-architecture by validating database schemas, user requirements, and business processes in the context of the in-progress methodology, and developing artifacts to codify the feature-methodology interplay.
- Took ownership of the entire library of end-user and business consultant documentation for an enterprise software platform with a diverse customer base, in order to ensure a consistent, high-quality experience.
- Scripted, recorded, and edited a video training series for consultants and end-users of the software platform.
Web Designer & Business Consultant at Real Sort
6/2012 – 7/2012
- Worked with the customer to identify branding requirements and develop a unique and personal brand positioning.
- Redesigned visual elements of customer’s website to complement established branding and meet customer expectations.
- Created custom-branded physical documents, including business cards, customer intake forms, and questionnaires.
- Worked with the customer to develop and revise a business plan, marketing materials, and a three-tier service offering.
March 2013 – Present
- Actively studying several programming languages and frameworks, including: .NET MVC and WPF, Angular, React, and Ionic, through Pluralsight.com, O’Reilly books, and other available educational channels.
- Also continuing to develop skills in C#, Python, SQL, Node.js, and Objective-C.
University of Washington – Seattle, WA
- BA in International Studies (Minors in Mathematics and Applied Mathematics)
- Coursework included: Java programming, technical communication, scientific computing, and contingent valuation surveys and environmental research in two of China’s most polluted cities.
- Named on Dean’s List for outstanding study, both at the UW (2012) and at Sichuan University (2010).
- Studied in Sichuan, China, traveled independently, and offered English classes in multiple cities (2008-10).
- Worked in University Machine Shop (2010) and conducted Nanofluidics (2009-10) and Cilia experiments (2007-08).
- Enterprise software documentation
- User-centered process documentation and training
- Writing and publishing educational/training books
- Experience with digital marketing
- Experience with ELK (Elasticsearch, Logstash, Kibana)
- Source control with Git and Team Foundation Server (TFS)
- Adapting HTML5 content for legacy platforms (WebHelp, IE6)
- MadCap MadPak Suite & MadCap Flare 10
- Research, experimental design, and statistical analysis
- Office 2013 Suite, Visio, Excel, Photoshop and Illustrator